Victorian Property Overlay Map

My wife and I are currently house hunting and this will be the first house I've ever bought so I'm a little nervous about not messing it up (perfectionist and all that). So when we find a property we're interested in I dig into the details by checking for easements, looking at the drainage and checking planning overlays since I know a little about these things from my time in a Local Government engineering department many moons ago.

Anyway it turns out that a lot of these things are available as open data, for the whole of Victoria! So to make my life easier I put together a little web app that also works on mobile devices for when you are actually at an inspection.

Victorian Property Info

https://willhl.shinyapps.io/vicpropertyoverlays/

Having recently built the Cycle Melbourne map, this one was super quick to put together. I used the same layout, almost the same background maps and just added 4 WMS map layers from land.vic.gov.au.

The Leaflet Extras package also allowed me to add a search function and a 'locate me' function (really helpful when at an inspection) with just a couple of lines of code. It's a seriously good package!

Technical details:

There's still some work to do on improving the layout on mobile devices but it's function for now so that can wait till another day...

Comments

  1. Would be great to talk to you about a similar project I wish to do that sounds like this post as well as the post which you commented on... https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/302861/where-to-start-for-real-estate-gis

    Call me on WhatsAPP 1-647-700-0401

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kiva Exploratory Data Analysis on Kaggle

Know your bias